2008-02-01

I am being tested

MLO is testing me, every day, constantly. Trying to see if my rules will soften, if I will let her get away with things she knows she shouldn't do.

She is trying to see if tears can really change mommy's mind.

I keep telling myself to be consistent, to not give in, to make sure she knows rules are rules. I am pretty good, about 95% of the time.

Then every now and then, there are times that I realize how silly a rule sounds at that moment and I cave (like she had been really good all day, wanted me to read two books before bed instead of the usual one and I caved after some pouting and a scrunched up face ready for tears).

Am I setting myself up for tantrums for life? So far I have been raising MLO by my gut, when something feels wrong I don't do it and vice versa. I get so many compliments on her that I must be doing something right.

So hopefully my gut won't start failing me and I will just stick to my 95% efficiency rate :)

2 comments:

Rick said...

In the immortal words of Kenny Rogers: "You've got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em. I think that applies to parenting as well.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

lisa marie said...

Parenting is so much harder than we ever thought it would be. I'm sure you're not damaging her for life and you're doing the best you can, right. :) Two books instead of one, that's great that she still wanted your company for just a little longer. :)